Tuesday, March 17, 2009

ANOTHER STROLL . . .THROUGH THE MISTS OF TIME

I included in a recent posting a photo and an article from my high school newspaper that a fellow alumnus (Lyle Nelson) had posted to my FaceBook page. The nostalgic sojurn into the past that those two items provided was. . interesting. .and somewhat revealing to say the least. It was interesting to see and read something that had transpired in my life nearly forty years ago. It was revealing in the sense that it had been a long time since I had seen pictures - other than my graduation picture - from my high school days. Bear with me a moment and I shall endeavor to explain.
Shortly after my return home from serving my LDS mission in Hong Kong, China - and while I was attending school at Ricks College - my home in Idaho Falls caught fire. Although no one was injured, lost in that fire were all of my junior high and high school yearbooks - not to mention a TON of albums, 8-track tapes and cassesttes. Additionally, many items that I brought home from China were destroyed. . not all, but several. Although structural damage was minimal, the fire practically guttted the basement of the house. What the fire and smoke damage didn't destroy, the water finished off. Bottom line is this. . .I have never been able to replace my yearbooks and therefore, many of the pictures, classmate autographs and comments, etc., are long gone. And now, some 33 years after the fire, Lyle Nelson posts some of those pictures to my FaceBook page. I have no idea why he kept these things. No doubt they represent only a fraction of the items he has saved and categorized from the halcyon days spent at Bonneville High. I am simply grateful for the fact that he not only saved them, but scanned and sent them to me at this late date.
He has added three more items; two photographs and an article from my Junior year at that prestigious bastion of adolescent academia. I am including those items in this post. In addition to illuminating the fact that I was - at one time -in possession of a decent amount of hair and a slimmer. more svelte build . . . these photos have inspired me to undertake another project. In the not too distant future, I will be posting photos of all of our children, photos of Lynne and photos of myself. These photos will be before and after images for each of us, utilizing our graduation photos and photos of us now. . .side by side. . . . hmmmm. Should be pretty revealing, eh?

1 comment:

Think Positive and SMILE! said...

Wow. So sorry to hear that a house fire took away all of your old memories. : ( That is so sad. I treasure all of the journals and pictures I have, and would hate to not have them. What a handsome guy there in the pictures! : ) That's nice that your friend kept them and sent them to you. : )