Monday, March 9, 2009

THE DEARTH OF POSTS? IT'S KIM'S FAULT!

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was chastising (albeit mildly and tongue-in-cheek) my adorable daughter-in-law Kim, about the lengthy absence of postings on her family blog. It seems that she had been bitten by that infamous and most vile of internet viruses. . . .FaceBook! Having succumbed to the enticings of this heinous malady, she acknowledged and admitted her complicity in failing to post information and/or photographs for an extended period of time. Kim indicated that after having fallen prey to this devious extension of Lord Vader's Evil Empire, her time had been monopolized in its grasp and she had completely neglected her blogging responsibilities. . .much to my chagrin. I informed her of the fact that I was blissfully ignorant of and above such foilables as FaceBook - or as she so casually but intimately referred to it - "FB". I cautiously reminded her that the masses were waiting to read about the exploits of 'the fam' and couldn't be expected to wait while she amused herself with this FaceBook thing. We shouldn't be expected to be kept waiting and be placated by simply, 'biding our time', until she got around to it.
OK. . .cut to the chase. Kim said I should get on FaceBook. I did. She said it would mess with my mind when it came to blogging. It did. She said my blogging would suffer. It has. She said I would see what she meant. I do. She said. ."yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda. ."
She was right. . . and in an effort to recompense my 'sin of omission', I'm writing this post. I have also had a very good friend ask why I haven't been writing and then raise a question about my health (would that be physical or mental?). From now on, I will make a concerted effort to exercise due diligence when it comes to this blog. But. . . .it's still all Kim's fault. The blame rests with her, the little sorceress.
As a sidenote, I have added a link to my FaceBook page on this blog should you feel so inclined. Lynne has a page as well. I have also added a link to my graduating class's (Bonneville High School Class of '73) FB page. If you have a burning desire to see a non-airbrushed, genuine, un-retouched, full-haired photo of me as a senior in high school, click away.
Also - when I was a sophomore (1971), President Richard Nixon visited Idaho Falls. I was a budding journalist on the 'Bonneville Buzz', the school newspaper. I had an opportunity to interview Dan Rather who at that time was a member of the White House Press Corps. A fellow BHS alum, Lyle Nelson, saved the article from that issue of the paper. He also saved a photograph he took on that day. Lyle posted them on my FaceBook page. I hadn't seen them in more than 37 years. Here they are for your reading amusement (bemusement?):

2 comments:

Kim Hutchens said...

I don't really like to say "I told you so", but I told you so! :) Tyler still doesn't get why I'm addicted and he refuses to sign up. You get sucked in, I tell ya! Glad to see you are back in action though.

Think Positive and SMILE! said...

WOW, Greg! You are GOOD at writing!!! Most impressive!! And creative, entertaining and hugely descriptive! : ) Thanks for sharing all of the above with us! It was fun to read! (From GB, Lynne's friend from KY!) : )