Tuesday, November 11, 2008

MORE HALLOWEEN 'GOINGS-ON' IN UTAH



Halloween has pretty much freaked me out for a long time. I'd just as soon be spending my time watching a good movie (in fact, I often have) or out fishing somewhere instead of engaging in halloween celebrations and festivities. That's not intended to be a social commentary on the relative merits of the holiday, I just don't get into it like I once did. And I used to really get into it (ask my kids about my gorilla costume sometime). But more and more I find the creepy and darker, malevolent side of Halloween a big turn-off. There are other reasons that don't need explanation, but it suffices to say it's not my favorite holiday by any measure.

However, it's still a lot of fun for the kids and grandkids and I've enjoyed looking at all of their pictures on the blogs. For them, it's all about the fun of dressing up and going out for candy and hitting the parties with family and friends. And, oh yes, the grandkids like it for the same reasons. Tyler and Kim's blog has some great pictures of their kids decked out in halloween garb. . . and for pure entertainment value, it's tough to beat the following shot of Ty and Kim as Axl and Slash from Guns 'n' Roses. They really make it work.
Like his cousins, Kayden goes all-out for Halloween. Last year he was Optimus Prime from Transformers and this year he was the pint-sized personification of the Ghost Rider. Cheniel bedecks her front yard with tombstones, cobwebs, ghosts and the whole nine yards. To top it off, their house is or has been the repository for such things as pet black-widow spiders in glass cases (that have produced egg sacks); scorpions; four-foot lizards and bobcat skulls. Not much has changed. . . when she was a little girl, Cheniel spent more time chasing lizards, horny-toads and snakes than she did playing dolls with her friends. That's my girl.

No comments: