Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY HOME FROM WORK. . .







At about 6:45 last Tuesday evening, I had left work and was on my way home. Less than a mile from my office (on my way to I-65) I suddenly became aware of an object descending from the heavens. Well, not ACTUALLY from the heavens, but from the sky above. It was in front of and slightly to the left of my car at an altitude of approximately 20 feet. It was somewhat disconcerting to realize that this object was in the process of a final approach, preparing to land and I was directly in its glide path. Obviously, no flight plan had been filed or, in the event one had been filed, I had not been informed.

As the webbed landing gear dropped from the belly of the object I realized that a collision was not only unavoidable, it was imminent. Faced with a stream of oncoming traffic and flanked by a substantial irrigation ditch on my right, I slowed and braced for impact as the object now loomed large enough to completely block-out the sun and cast my entire car in shadow. . .kinda.

In an instant I realized that this craft hailed from north of the border (Canadian Goose) and had obviously mistaken my tinted windshield for some aquatic landing zone. As the goose realized the error of its ways and began to backpedal (back-flap?) its wings, I noticed that its eyes actually got larger and its lips seemed to be saying, "Af-ffl-lllaa-aaccc-ccc!!" Yeah. As if THAT was going to help the situation (notice the goose feathers in a couple of the photos).

End result: Windshield - 1, Goose - zero. Tasty.

1 comment:

Kim Hutchens said...

Wow! That thing must have been huge! Good thing it was on the passenger side.